Saturday, January 17, 2015

A Whack-a-Mole Kind of Life


I quite happily finished my painting of Rob last night.  If I do say so myself, it's one of the best portraits I've ever done.

Yesterday morning, Dobrila asked me when I thought I'd be ready to tackle painting the photo that she had brought to me this week.  (The photo is one that Dobrila had snapped of me, naked on my bed with my heart-shaped ass and curved spine as its main focus.) I told her regrettably that the nude painting would have to wait because a woman from St. Lawrence Market had asked me first to do a painting of her cat.

This is how my life is like.  Finish one painting and another comes up. (Not that I mind; I make my bread and butter through commissions.)  Reply to half a dozen emails and a dozen or more come back.

One of my friends mentioned to me how much she wished that she and I could fly to Cuba so that we could lie on the beach and do nothing except drink Margueritas all day. The Marguerita and the warm beach sounded heavenly!!! Yes, yes, sign me up!

But, to sit and do nothing? Really?  I know that other people do exactly this on their vacations: nothing.  HOW do they do that?  Aren't they tortured like I am by the mere idea of sitting still for more than a full minute?  And, doesn't it occur to them that when they return from doing nothing there will be twice the amount of SOMETHING to deal with?

Am I the only one who thinks this way? Naw, there has to be more neurotic, over-achievers out there whose idea of fun is to play whack-a-mole with their lives 24 hours a day?

No comments: