Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Save the Independent Living Fund


Two years ago, people from DPAC (Disabled People Against Cuts) came to Ontario to tell of their plight. During the space of time since the departure of DPAC from Canada, Prime Minister David Cameron and the Conservative Party of Britain have continued pushing for the dismantlement of the Independent Living Fund.  To lose this funding would mean utter disaster for disabled people in the UK who rely on it in order to live a full, satisfying life.

For two years now,  I've read the daily messages on DPAC's Facebook page. I feel empathy for these people.  I share their torment and frustration when their peers die by the thousands because of cuts to government programs.   I cheer and feel hopeful when media put its focus upon this terrible situation, or when support comes from different sources.

Today, when I read that Coronation Street stars had made a video in support of people with disabilities who are in this terrible, scary situatuin ( coronation-street-stars-join-ilf-campaign ), I felt many different emotions .....

To be continued  .....

No comments: