Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Thinking About My Own Mortality


I went on a holiday to Mount Sinai Hospital, and all I got as a souvenir is this dumb dress

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about my own mortality.  What would happen if I suddenly died? I worry about the welfare of my cats and the fate of my employees/friends.

At 6:30 am this morning, when I jerked awake from terrible chest pains, my mind went right to these kinds of thoughts.

I went to the hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack.  I was so afraid!  However, as the pains in my chest subsided (they did so in the ambulance on the way to the hospital) and because the tests showed nothing wrong with my heart, I stopped worrying and began to feel foolish.  However, it's better to be more cautious than not at all.

I'm not sure if this is at all legally binding or not (I hope so!) but I want people know what I want when I eventually leave this earth.

  1. Please dress me in my Frida Khalo dress and my high-top shoes that light up, as well as my lockets.  If possible, scatter my ashes with Rob's, Dandylion's, and the little sachel of Mom's ashes all together. (I'm not sure where yet.)
  2. At my wake, please play my favourite music, eat and drink and have fun!
  3. HIRE A MALE STRIPPER!!!
  4. NO religious sermons!!! 
As for my estate:

  1. Of my remaining estate, I want half of it split 3 ways between my beloved brother Bruce David Abbott, my nephew Thomas Brian Abbott, and niece Michelle Abbott.
  2. The other half of the estate should go to people I love and who have been with me through thick & thin:
Sarah Cresky, Laura MacDonald, Dobrila Tomic,  Amy C Lam,  Motria Sabat, Nic DeGroot, Jen Wilson, Yuula Benivolski, Simone Schmidt, Jeff Bierk, Rob Stolik, Lenny Olin, Roger Spackman, Maddie Ritts, Brittainy Buls, Lucy Satzewich, Marjie Francis, Alana Assails, Sarah Kilpack.

I leave 2 of my precious possessions (my cats Hershey and Rascal) in the capable hands of  Laura MacDonald.


And, I name Motria Sabat as my executor.



There, now I feel better ....

No comments: