Sunday, June 5, 2016

Guess What, Mom!

All week long I've had this nagging feeling like I had to call you and tell you about my news.

"Guess what, Mom," I'd say.  "I'm so happy because I just got a new portable feed pump! That means that I can actually leave the apartment whenever I want, go wherever I want!"

"Guess what, Mom! I'm going for my swallow test on Tuesday. I feel both excited and nervous about this. I hope they tell me that I can hear the G-tube removed.  I hate it so much!"

"You'll never guess who I met today, Mom!  I went with Barbara Collier as her guest to accept her award from the previous Lieutenant Governor of Ontario David Onley.  You know, the guy who used to be on CityTV News.  Yes, Mom, I know you prefer watching the news on CTV."




"Hey,  Mom!  I went to a demonstration today at Dundas Square to protest this terrible movie called Me Before You.  It's about this white, rich dude who recently was in an accident and became a quadriplegic.  He falls in love with his care giver and they get engaged, but he decides to end his life because he doesn't want to be a burden on her. Hollywood always wants to depict the lives of people with disabilities as worthless and too hard to bear, but, Mom, you always told me that I made life interesting and fun for you!"

Today, Mom, I really yearn to call you. Today is your birthday, and I want to wish you a happy birthday and tell you that I love you.

Happy birthday, Mom, wherever you are!  I love you and miss you so much!!!

No comments: