Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Waxing Poetic


For weeks now, I've been working on my Directive.  You know, making notes just in case I end back in the hospital again. (God help me, never again!)   I'm as healthy as a horsee now, but you just never know,  you know?  Terminal cancer,  a stroke, coma - I had to figure out what I actually wanted to happen in those kind of scenerios and write them down.

And then I began to think about the bigger picture, my last chapter.  What do I want then?

So I wrote this poem:

         Mortality

I've been thinking about mortality,
The cold hard fact of its reality.
It hurts my heart -
It hurts my spirit -
It hurts my head  -
To know that beneath the cold, hard ground will one day be my eternal bed.
I have Hamlet's doubts,
I ponder  of the theological ins and outs.
Is there an after party,
Or, forevermore, is this it?
More of the same,
More of the shit?
One thing I know,
Before I go,
I want laughter and love,
I want to watch the clouds gently roll by in the blue skies above
There should be music for my ears,
Nothing too sad,
Nothing to bring the fear of tears.
Delicious food to delight and tickle.
The taste buds will be a must!
No worldly matters,
No tragedies of the day will be discussed.
Well-formed men should dance,
Giving a small spark of romance.
As my final days begin to end,
I will yearn to have around me
My family and every close friend.
I want no tears to be shed,
Only laughter, joy, and wonderful memories instead.

No comments: