Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The More Life Changes the More it Stays the Same


Life can be funny sometimes.  Take this morning for example ....

I opened up Facebook and it gave me a "memory" of nine years ago, when I was at a demonstration fighting for the rights of people with disabilities.


I laughed to myself because I had planned on going to another demonstration today.  How fitting that Facebook memory was!


Today, the other OCAP members and I were at City Hall to fight against the discriminatory practices that govern the Housing Stabilization Fund.  The HSF provides support for people on Social Assistance struggling to obtain or retain housing in Toronto, but there's so much red tape and so many hoops to jump through that it's almost impossible to get this funding.

Funding, it's always about fighting for funding.  ODSP and OW are the insufficient funds that poor people and people with disabilities try to survive upon. (If you have kids it's even harder!) Funding for shelters, funding for affordable housing.  They cut, we fight, gain a little headway, lose a few battles -  and then we start all over again!

Will I still be going to demos in another nine years?  If need be - you bet your ass I will!

However, hopefully, by then society will smarten up and learn about empathy and kindness.

No comments: