Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Back on Track Part II (The Sequel)



I didn't have the time yesterday to say everything I wanted to convey.  As always, I had a million and one things to do!

Today, however, I'd like to continue my train of thought, about feeling like I'm back on track, about feeling more optimistic about my life and the small part I have upon the world's stage.

Firstly, on Saturday, I went to an OCAP meeting.  Shamefully, I haven't been to one in ages - but it is one of my New Year's resolutions to get more involved and try to make a positive difference in the fight against poverty!  I felt inspired to do just that as several members listed the victories they had won and battles still to be fought. I admired their passion and dedication to fight for/with poor and marginalized people.

On Sunday, I did more work on my painting.


I don't hate it now.  When I look at the painting, I see an abundance of possibilities.  It's not exactly what I had originally envisioned, but what the hell, sometimes you just gotta go with the flow.

And speaking of possibilities and going with the flow, I was asked to take part in a group art show.  The theme of it is going to be on A Midsummer's Night Dream, and I'm supposed to paint four pictures for the event.  I'm very excited about it all!

In closing, because yesterday I listened to one of Martin Luther King Jr's speeches on Democracy Now, I'd like to quote from the great man himself:

"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that."

May we all shine a little light of love, hope, and tolerance upon these uncertain days - and may our light shut out the darkness.

No comments: